Posted 2 years ago
Scope of Position: Diagnoses, prescribes medication, monitors medication side effects and participates in the treatment team process.
- Completes Psychiatric Evaluations.
- Prescribe and direct medications to treat mental, emotional, or behavioral disorders.
- Examine and review diagnostic test on patients to provide information on general physical condition or mental disorders.
- Performs clinical screening and referral of all conditions in need of consultation from medical, non-psychiatric specialties.
- Reviews and follows up on treatment(s) ordered by other physicians.
- Documents patient’s progress in progress notes as patients are seen.
- Explains medication effects and side-effects to patient and/or parent/guardian with review of the Patient Medication Education for each medication.
- Obtains or reviews patient’s and/or parent/guardian’s signature on the Consent To Treatment With Psychotropic Medication upon admission, or change/addition of prescription.
- Prescribes, follows-up and reviews all prescribed neuroleptics.
- Reviews all non-psychiatric medical orders and prescriptions.
- Consults and advises the clinical staff and Program Director as necessary.
- Follow all safety and infection control policies and procedures.
- Participate in agency training as required.
- Participate in continuous FTS quality improvement activities.
This list of specific functions is not intended to be exhaustive. Florida Therapy Services, Inc. reserves the right to revise this job description as needed to comply with actual job requirements.
M.D. or D.O. Degree; Board Eligible or Board Certified Psychiatrist. Prior experience in community mental health field desirable. Must have and maintain a current Controlled Substances Registration Certificate from the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. Must have and maintain a current Florida Physician License.
- Must have and maintain professional malpractice coverage.
- Maintain Continuing Education Units (CEUs) as required by state licensing boards.
- Must have reliable transportation, valid driver’s license and required automobile insurance.
- Must check FTS e-mail at least once daily.
- Must meet standards of Level I and Level II criminal background screening in accordance with FL Statutes (F.S.) 435.04 and (F.S.) 408.809.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to apply mental health counseling methods and techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of clinical counseling principles, programs and methodology.
- Comprehensive therapy skills with children and families, abuse, neglect and substance abuse.
- Ability to effectively interact with children and families from diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of community resources.
- Knowledge of crisis intervention techniques.
- Knowledge and understanding of clinical social work and mental health counseling principles, methods, procedures and standards.
- Ability to evaluate the progress of therapeutic programs and make individual modifications.
- Ability to maintain emotional stability to cope with human suffering, emergencies and other stresses.
- Ability to set appropriate limits and boundaries with clients.
- Knowledge of legal and ethical issues related to patient rights.
- Ability to gather and interpret information.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA regulations.
- Ability to use a computer with access to basic applications including but not limited to, Word and Excel.